If you have been named the executor of another person's estate in Louisiana, you have been given an important responsibility. As executor, you can be held personally liable for mistakes. As a result, you should seek the assistance of an experienced lawyer to guide you through the process.
At Nicaud & Sunseri, LLC, we offer a free initial consultation to explain your responsibilities as executor and to answer your questions about the succession process. Our lawyers represent executors from all over the United States when the deceased person owned property in New Orleans or southern Louisiana.
What Is Succession?
In Louisiana, a "succession" is a court process that is used to determine the legal heirs and have them placed in possession of the decedent's property. When a will is involved, the will is probated to determine the validity of the will. Oftentimes, it is necessary to appoint an executor to manage the succession process. An executor, is responsible for:
- Identifying and valuing assets
- Notifying creditors and paying legitimate bills of the decedent
- Paying state and federal taxes
- Placing the heirs in possession in accordance with the terms of the decedent's will. If the deceased person left no will, then assets will be distributed to beneficiaries under Louisiana's intestate succession process.
Succession typically takes six months to a year, depending on the assets involved, but may take longer if there are complex assets or disputes.
Representing Heirs and Beneficiaries
In addition to representing executors, our attorneys represent heirs and beneficiaries in will contests and other issues that may arise in the succession process. In Louisiana, a will can be contested due to:
- Undue influence by a caretaker or other person in a position of trust
- Lack of proper execution of a will
- Lack of testamentary capacity by the person signing the will
Contact Our New Orleans Probate Attorneys: 504-662-9596
For more information or to schedule a free initial consultation with our Metairie succession attorneys, call 504-662-9596 or complete the contact form on this site.