Applying for Social Security Disability Benefits Legal in Metairie, Louisiana
The disabled have many options for applying for Social Security Disability Benefits. However, the process is often confusing. It requires a tremendous amount of information, which many people do not have at their fingertips. Even worse, the Social Security Administration (SSA) rejects many people with valid claims.
Please contact our law firm today for assistance with your claim. Our Los Angeles Social Security disability benefits lawyers understand the process and how to preserve your claim should you need to appeal.
Options for Applying
To apply for Social Security Disability benefits, you can:
- Visit the Social Security Administration website, ssa.gov, and submit an application
- Call SSA at 1-800-772-1213
- Visit your nearest SSA field office in Los Angeles
You can also apply for Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) benefits at the same time. SSI is a means-tested program for low income applicants, but some people qualify for both disability benefits and SSI. There is no charge to apply for either program. If you have questions, speak with a Los Angeles Social Security disability benefits lawyer today.
Required Documents & Information
Applying for benefits requires a considerable amount of information. SSA publishes lists of what you need. However, we can provide a general overview of the most important information, such as the following personal information:
- Date of marriage and divorce
- Names of your children
- Date of birth for your spouse and children under 18
- Bank information, such as your checking and/or savings account
You also will need medical information, such as:
- Information about your medical condition or injuries
- Names of all medicines you are taking
- Names and dates of any medical tests
- Contact information for all doctors or hospitals that have treated you, including the dates of treatment
- Any medical records you have in your possession
You will also need information about your work history:
- List of jobs you worked for the past 15 years
- Name and addresses of all employers for the past two years
- Your income from each job
- Date of any active military service
- Workers’ compensation claim information, if applicable
Waiting for a Determination
SSA is backlogged with claims, so you will need to wait a while before receiving a determination letter. Staff will check whether you have sufficient work credits and whether your illness or injury is on a list of severe impairments. If approved, your letter should tell you when you will start receiving benefits and the amount.
If SSA denies benefits, your letter should tell you what steps to take next. You can request reconsideration of your application, which sends it back to the office to take a fresh look. SSA rejects most requests for reconsideration, unfortunately, but applicants have the right to request an appeal.
Speak with Our Los Angeles Social Security Disability Attorney
Fewer than 50% of people who apply are immediately granted disability benefits. Fortunately, disabled applicants can have a lawyer help them through the application process and when bringing an appeal. Please contact a member of our team today to schedule a free consultation.