Nicaud & Sunseri Law Firm, LLC
Southshore: 504-662-9596
Northshore: 985-218-0494

Making The Complex Understandable

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

What you should know before your ex takes your child abroad

Summer is often the time of year when divorced parents are most likely to take their children abroad, whether for vacation or to visit extended family. In most cases, the other parent's permission is required to take a child out of the U.S. There are some things, however, that you should be aware of before letting your child travel abroad.

Most parents have no intention of not returning a child to the U.S. Further, many countries recognize a treaty called the Hague Convention on International Child Abduction. The purpose of the treaty is to uphold the custody arrangements that are in place between the parents of any child under 16. It provides a legal process to ensure that children are returned to their home. However, some countries don't enforce the Hague Convention consistently or rely on their customs and beliefs when making legal decisions related to the treaty.

If you're concerned that your spouse might try to keep your child once they get to another country, it's best to consult a family law attorney to find out what your options are before letting your child go abroad. Further, if you don't want your child to go because you have concerns that the country is not safe to visit, you should learn about steps you can take to prevent the journey.

Travel abroad can be an exciting and valuable experience for a child. Most parents don't want to stand between their children and that opportunity unnecessarily. You can get more information on the countries and territories that have signed on to the Hague Convention treaty on the U.S. Department of State's website. The State Department's website also has information on international child abduction as well as current travel warnings. Your Louisiana family law attorney can provide guidance specific to your situation.

Source: WOTV 4, "Can my ex take the kids out of the country?," Gail Saukas, June 11, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Serving Orleans, St. Tammany, Jefferson, St. Bernard, Washington, St. John the Baptist, St. Charles and Plaquemines Parishes
Email Us For A Response

Get Answers Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Metairie Office
3000 18th Street
Metairie, LA 70002

Phone: 504-662-9596
Fax: 504-833-2843
Metairie Law Office Map

Covington Office
7020 Highway 190 West Service Rd
Suite A-104
Covington, LA 70433

Phone: 985-218-0494
Fax: 985-624-9698
Covington Law Office Map