Making The Complex

New Orleans Lawyer For Non-Immigrant Visas

Nonimmigrants enter the United States for a temporary period of time for the purpose that is consistent with their visas. Generally, a nonimmigrant must represent that his or her stay in the United States is temporary. Some of the nonimmigrant visas are:

B-1/B-2 Visitor’s Visas

Available to visitors coming to the U.S. for business (B-1) or for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2), visitor visas are for a short duration and do not permit employment in the United States. Nationals of certain countries may be eligible to visit the U.S. for up to 90 days without obtaining a visa under a Visa Waiver Program.

E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader and Investor Visas

For investors and traders and their employees to carry on their businesses in the U.S. if their home country has a commercial treaty with the US conferring visa eligibility.

F-1 and M-1 Student Visas

Benefits students who seek to pursue a full course of study at a school in the United State. In some cases, a period for practical training in their field of study is also allowed.

H-1B Specialty Occupation (Professionals/Employment) Visas

Available to professional workers with at least a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent work experience).

J-1 and Q-1 Exchange Visitor Visas

Covers students, short-term scholars, business trainees, teachers, professors and research scholars, specialists, international visitors, government visitors, camp counselors and au pairs who come to the U.S. under an approved exchange program. In some cases, participation in a J-1 program will be coupled with the requirement that the nonimmigrant spend at least two years outside of the U.S. before being permitted to switch to a different non-immigrant visa or to permanent residency.

K-1 Fiancee Visas

A Fiancee of a U.S. citizen is eligible for this visa. A marriage is required to be consummated within 90 days of arrival.

L-1 Intra company Transfer Visas

Available to executives, managers and specialized knowledge employees transferring to their employer’s U.S. affiliate. Executives and managers holding L-1 visas may be eligible for permanent residency without the need for a labor certification.

O-1 Extraordinary Ability Worker Visas

Set aside for foreign nationals with extraordinary ability. This includes entertainers, athletes, scientists, and business persons.

P-1 Performers and Athletes Visas

Covers athletes, artists and entertainers.

R-1 Religious Worker Visas

Contact Our Metairie Attorneys: 985-218-0494

For more information or to schedule a consultation with our New Orleans immigration lawyers, call 985-218-0494 or complete the contact form on this site.